Following the return of professional squash this month after a six-month suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the PSA World Rankings will be unfrozen from October 1, 2020 with a new ranking system coming into play to ensure that no player rankings are affected during the restart of the PSA Tour.
The new system will remove the divisor – which previously divided the total number of points a player had accumulated over a 12-month period by the number of tournaments played to give an average score – and instead points will be made up of a cumulative total consisting of the top 10 tournament results for men and top 9 for women.
For instance, if a male player has played in 14 events over the course of the period eligible for rankings points, only their best ten results (in terms of points earned) will count towards their ranking. The same goes for a female player, with their best nine events counting.
In addition, to safeguard players’ rankings during the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of months counting towards the ranking system will be temporarily increased. Rankings from October 1, 2020 – January 21, 2021 will include points earned in tournaments from March 2019 (unless already excluded from the frozen ranking), to date.
Here is how the system will work for the next four months:
- 1 October 2020 ranking includes points earned between March 2019 and 30 September 2020 (19 months)
- 1 November 2020 ranking includes points earned between March 2019 and 31 October 2020 (20 months)
- 1 December 2020 ranking includes points earned between March 2019 and 30 November 2020 (21 months)
- 1 January 2021 ranking includes points earned between March 2019 and 31 December 2020 (22 months)
Points will then gradually come off in a staggered rhythm from February 1, 2021, with the normal 12-month rolling time period expected to return by 1 July 2021.
Here is how the points will be removed over that period:
- 1 February 2021 will see points from March and April 2019 removed
- 1 March 2021 will see points from May, June and July 2019 removed
- 1 April 2021 will see points from August and September 2019 removed
- 1 May 2021 will see points from October and November 2019 removed
- 1 June 2021 will see points from December 2019 and January 2020 removed
- 1 July 2021 will see points from February and March 2020 removed
As of 1 July 2021, all points earned from before the enforced suspension of the Tour will have been removed, and only points earned since the return of the Tour will count towards rankings. The system will continue to work without the divisor going forward from July 2021 onwards.